ⓘ Kravjek Castle

                                     

ⓘ Kravjek Castle

Kravjek was once one of the more important castles of the Duchy of Carinthia. Its first owners were the Dukes of Spanheim, who managed the castle via their ministeriales. This practice resulted in the castles first indirect mention in a 1243 record of a legal proceeding, in which a "Friderik castellanus de Weinek" was called as a witness. The castle was next indirectly mentioned in written sources in 1254, when its castellan Rajnboto of Jetrbensek, ministerialis of Duke Ulrik III, donated two farms and two vineyards to Sticna Abbey.

The first direct record of the castle dates back to 1256, in the agreement signed by the brothers Ulrich and Phillip Salzburg, dividing his inheritance. Ulrik received the Ljubljana castle and the castle parables, and Philip took possession of the castles in Carinthia Himmelberg and Wernberg, and castles in Sostro and Kravjek.

Phillip Kravjek for sale in 1279 the Patriarchate of Aquileia. It remained the personal property of the Dukes of Carinthia, until 1335, when he passed among the possessions of the Duchy.