The concession of cote Saint-Paul was granted by the Sulpician Order, seigneurs of the Island of Montreal, in 1662. It extended northward from the current site past the current location of the Lachine Canal to Lac à la Loutre, which was then located at the foot of the Falaise Saint-Jacques, where the Turcot yards are today. The area was essentially agricultural, and remained so until the Lachine Canal bisected the area in 1825, Lac à la Loutre was dried out. Chemin de la Riviere-Saint-Pierre now avenue de lEglise was built to join Chemin de la Cote-des-Argoulets Boulevard LaSalle with the Chemin de la Cote-Saint-Paul Rue Saint-Patrick.
With the canal providing water power for factories, workers began to move to the next, forming the core of the community in the triangle bounded by the Lachine canal, street of Angers, and the Avenue de Ieglise. In the village of côte Saint-Paul was founded in 1874. The first Church of St. Paul was built in 1875, and the town hall and the railway station soon followed. In the Western part of the village separated in 1878, Forming the parish of the municipal formation côte Saint-Paul, late of Ville-Emard. The balance of the village of côte-Saint-Paul became a town in 1894 and was renamed St. Paul in 1897.
Clockwise from North, of the town of Saint-Paul was limited to the Lachine canal, the railway, on the North Bank of the aqueduct canal, the property for the lots on the West side of Frontenac Rue Leprohon, the Property line to the North of Rielle Rue Laurendeau, First Avenue now Rue Le Caron, and Saint-Louis Rue Briand.
In 1910, Saint Paul merged in Montreal at the same time as neighbouring Ville-Emard. Industrial development continued and the remaining agricultural land was converted to housing. However, as the whole area of the Lachine canal, the area went into decline with the construction of the St. Lawrence Seaway. The construction of the Decarie Expressway and the Turcot interchange in 1964 broke the heart of old Saint-Paul, though freed from administrative buildings along the Avenue de Ieglise. In 1978, the Montreal metro reached côte Saint-Paul with the construction of the metro Policer.
In 2002, the district became part of the town of Le South-West. Today, the Western border area of côte-Saint-Paul is not precisely defined, but it is somewhat widened to the West from the official limit in his days as an independent city, with the creation of agricultural land since the destruction of the city.