ⓘ Shaw Monument
The Shaw Monument, sometimes known as Shaw Tower, located on rising ground NS 36778 26122 near the Prestwick Airport Control Tower, was built at some point prior to 1775 by the then laird of Shaw, a keen falconer, in order that he could follow the sport from its top in his old age when he was no longer able to join on horseback. A faint portrait or simulacrum of a man in profile holding a falcon on a panel at the base of the tower may support this theory or may have given rise to it. The tower is a category B listed building.
Aitons map of 1811 shows the tower next to two small lakes drained long ago. The Thomson map of 1832 marks the monument to Shaw clearly as a locally significant structure. Armstrongs map of 1775 shows, but does not name the monument. Johnsons map of 1828 clearly marks the monument of the SCO.