ⓘ Tellenburg Castle

                                     

ⓘ Tellenburg Castle

The castle was built around 1200 by the Lords of Kien. After the Lords of Kien, the Lords of Wadenswil became the owners of the castle. They were followed by the Lords of Turn in 1312 and then later by the city of Bern. The original castle was expanded and repaired in the 13th or 14th centuries.

Under Bernese rule, the castle served as the administrative center of the surrounding area until the creation of the Helvetic Republic in 1798. After 1798 it was used as a poor house. In 1885 the castle was gutted in the fire. It was never rebuilt and gradually fell into ruin.