ⓘ Norantola Castle

                                     

ⓘ Norantola Castle

The oldest parts of the castle were probably built in the 12th century for a local noble family. In 1248 Locarnus de Norantola is mentioned in a record and in 1295 Petrus de Norantola is mentioned. However, by around 1300 the castle was owned by the powerful Counts of Sax/Misox and the Norantola family vanished from historical records. In 1324 Ugolinus von Sax was listed as the owner of the castle. In the early 14th century, the original castle was completely rebuilt. The old ring wall was topped with swallowtail crenallations. A new tower was built on the wall. The north wing, with apartments and a throne room, and a south wing with stables were added. The original palas had a gallery added and became the east wing.

The rulers of the castle was the younger branch of the family saxophone / Misox, known as the sax-Norantola. In 1439 the local court ruled in favor of the Sachs-Norantola family during family conflict. However, in 1452 the Earl of Heinrich von sax-Misox signed an agreement with the inhabitants of the valley, which overturned all the agreements and traditional rights between Sax Norantola and residents. In 1480 count Peter von Sachs and Trivulzio, Gian Giacomo had a falling out over the hotel, which ultimately led to war. It turns out that the Saks-Norantola family was supported by Trivulzio and his ally the Duke of Milan. After 1480 or Trivulzio or the Duke of Milan helped to strengthen the castle. However, it is inefficient, because in 1483, during the battle between the Duke and the count, the castle was burned Norantola sax-Misox troops. The castle was restored in the 16th century saxophone-Norantola family lived in Bellinzona.