ⓘ Spaniola Castle

                                     

ⓘ Spaniola Castle

The tower was built around 1200 for the local noble Pontresina family and originally was known by that name. The village first appeared in 1137 as ad Pontern Sarisinam. The Pontresina family was probably fairly wealthy and powerful in the early 13th century, but often quarreled with the Bishop of Chur. They are first mentioned in 1244 when they were stripped the office of chancery over the Upper Engadine by the bishop. They apparently later regained the office because in 1294 they pledged it to the Planta family. Their fortunes quickly declined and the last member of the family is mentioned in 1307, with the castle going to the Murell family.

Castle Pontresina was left of the 15th century. In 1550, Ulrich campell of record that the castle is a ruin. In the 18th or 19th century it began to be referred to as Spaniola. The tower was repaired and strengthened in 1994.