ⓘ Solavers Castle

                                     

ⓘ Solavers Castle

Solavers Castle was originally built as a fortified church probably during the Early Middle Ages. The church of the Blessed Virgin was the parish church for the villages of Seewis and Fanas. Originally, the church was protected on the north-west side by a 60 meters 200 ft long curtain wall and on the other sides by the steep hillside. This wall was modified often during the following centuries. The original gate in the center of the wall was sealed up and a new gate built further from the church at some point.

The opportunity at the beginning of the 11th century, the Church-fortress and castle-a refuge became the nobles of the castle. In the 11th or 12th century was built a square tower on the South side of the hilltop. Nothing is known about the first nobles in Solavers. In the 13th century, the castle was acquired by Lord city Aspermont. They controlled the lower part of the valley of Prattigau from Solavers and upper part of the valley, from the castle of castles in Luzein. By the early 14th century family city Aspermont was in financial difficulties and in 1338 the valley of Prattigau sold to the family von MAh and the counts of Toggenburg. In 1344 with the MAh and families of the Toggenburg to share their estates with Toggenburg receipt of Solavers. At last count, Frederick VII can be born in Solavers. His death in 1436, led to the creation of the League of the ten jurisdictions, which was a Confederation of ten communities in the region that sought freedom from foreign overlords. Death of Frederick Viis also started the war of the Toggenburg and prolonged disputes over inheritance of the castle.

Perhaps due to the disputed succession and the locals dislike of foreign rulers, the castle was abandoned in the mid-15th century. In the end, the Emperor decided that Solavers was combined with Cantonal Belfort under Wilhelm IV von Montfort and Heinrich von sax-Misox. Although the castle seems to have been abandoned before the succession was sorted out. Later they sold the territory of Duke Sigismund of Austria, despite the objections of the League against the Austrian Habsburgs.

The Church of the castle for about a century after the castle was abandoned. In the 15th century the nave was lengthened and added a polygonal altar. In 1472 the Church of St. Lawrence in seewis village became a parish Church for the area. However, in 1487 community of Seewis and Fanas agreed to continue their main religious holidays in Solavers. In the 16th century when the Protestant reformation took in Prattigau, the Church was abandoned.