ⓘ Klingenhorn Castle

                                     

ⓘ Klingenhorn Castle

While nothing is known about the castles foundation, it was probably built in the 13th century perhaps for the Lords of Vaz or of Aspermont. It was probably held by a ministerialis family, unfree knights in service to a higher noble. By 1372 it was owned by the von Matsch family, who offered it as collateral for 200 marks from Rudolf von Underwegen. Part of the agreement stipulated that the castle must remain open to the Matsch family at any time. In 1420 it was mentioned as the property of Ulrich Seger, the vogt and judge over Malans, but the castle appears to have been uninhabitable at that time. It appears that the castle was probably gutted by a fire. By 1441 it appears to have been a ruin. Around 1470 the Schlandersberg family acquired the castle and in 1497 Deipold von Schlandersburg granted the ruins and the castle hill to Hans Sutter of Malans. However, if he was to rebuild the castle he had to return the hill to them. The castle was never rebuilt.