ⓘ Wynegg Castle

                                     

ⓘ Wynegg Castle

Wynegg castle was built in the 13th century for the Wynegg family. The first known member of the family, Ludwig von Wynegg, appears in a record in 1254. The family last appears in 1270 when Ulrich von Wynegg was mentioned. The family probably served the Bishop of Chur or the Freiherr von Vaz. After the family died out, the castle and lands were inherited by Vaz family, though the Bishop also claimed that he owned the castle. At first Johann von Vaz appeared to accept the bishops claim, but in 1299 he went to court to prove that it was legally his fief.

Even after the disappearance of VAZ in 1337 / 38 possession of the castle remained murky. 6 Dec 1338 Count Ulrich von Montfort vowed that he would return to the castle to his uncle Toggenburg Friedrich V von. It is unclear why this was necessary, as Frederick was to inherit the castle through his wife, married kunigunde von VAZ. Then, on December 11, 1338 Frederick received the castle as a fief under the leadership of the Bishop of Chur. In the following decades, the Toggenburg counts held in the castle, along with Schanfigg and Davos, to the bishops. In 1421, Frederick VII, and Bishop had a falling out and the Bishop took of the feud. However, after arbitration through the city of Zurich, Wynegg was returned to the count. In 1436 the last Count of Toggenburg died, and the manor was returned to the Bishop. In 1441 it was granted to the Junker Heinrich Amsler, after which he disappears from the records until 1548 when it was described as a ruin.

About 1600 devastation was purchased Andreas von SALIS, who built a new three-storey patrician style of the house in ruins. In 1602 he inherited Guler von Davos through the marriage of his daughter Margaret. They expanded the house and 1624, called themselves Guler background Wynegg. For nearly two centuries, he was in a country house for the family, but around the end of the 18th century it was abandoned and allowed to decay. In 1793 the municipality of malans was bought abandoned castle over 2.200 Guilder.