ⓘ Rappenstein Castle

                                     

ⓘ Rappenstein Castle

Almost nothing is known about the history of this castle, including its original name. Based on its construction, it was built around the middle of the 13th century. A wooden beam in the castle has been dated to 1255. During the 13th century the area around the castle belonged to the knightly family Tumb von Neuburg from Vorarlberg. Since their main castle, nearby Neuburg Castle, was first built around 1300, before then the Tumb von Neuburg family may have lived at Rappenstein or at another demolished castle on Neuburg. One of the walls of the castle shows evidence of a second construction phase which reinforced the wall. This may indicate that the castle was inhabited for a while or that it was used as a fallback fortification in case of war.

In 1450 the background Motteli or family von Rappenstein from St. Gallen purchased the Neuburg castle and around the castle. They took the name Rappenstein after their castle near St. Gallen. When they moved to the Grisons, this name was applied to this castle. By the end of the 15th century, Rappenstein was abandoned. In 1496, when the background Rappensteins sold by Neuburg, Bishop of Chur, castle Rappenstein was not mentioned, but his lands were included in the sale.