ⓘ Friedau Castle

                                     

ⓘ Friedau Castle

In 955 Emperor Otto I granted his estates in Zizers to the Bishop of Chur. Friedau Castle may have been built on the site of one of the buildings from this 10th century grant. Construction on the castle begun under Bishop Volkart von Neuenburg 1237-1251 but was completed under Heinrich IV von Montfort 1251-1272. Once it was completed it became the administrative center of the Herrschaft and the home of the bishops landvogt.

Because the Bishop often needs loans and donations, he used the castle as collateral for a loan or as a reward for donating. In 1358 he was given as collateral for Beringers von Landenberg and four years later, in 1362, Bishop Peter Gelyto gave married kunigunde von Toggenburg. In Toggenburgs kept the castle until the death of Frederick VII in 1436 and the extinction of the family, of the Toggenburg. It seems that the castle has already collapsed by 1387, the Bishop was simply a granting of land rights and taxes associated with the lock. With these rights, the Bishop has included a clause that if the castle was rebuilt, Lands returned to him.

The castle must have been rebuilt sometime after the disappearance of Toggenburgs, because in 1503, were again Vogt in Friedau. In 1550, the chronicler Ulrich campell recorded that the castle was a tower, surrounded by a wall and moat. In 1649, the Bishop sold the castle to the hotel apart-hotel dorfer. Since then, the castle was used as a prison and gradually became known as Schelmenturm. In 1880 the tower was badly damaged during a fire that destroyed a great part in zizers. The heat was so strong that the stones in the wall cracked and two great rents opened in the tower.

During the archaeological excavations of the tower in 2016, a few fingers and bones of the foot and leg bone were discovered. The initial assumption was that the bones came from tortured prisoners. However, carbon-14 Dating found that the bones date from before the tower was built in the 13th century.