ⓘ Strassberg Castle

                                     

ⓘ Strassberg Castle

The castle was built in the 12th century to guard the road from Chur over the alpine passes. The oldest part of the castle, the ring wall, was built in the second half of the 12th century. The main tower was added in the early 13th century. The Lords of Strassberg first appear in the historical record in 1253.

The ring of walls around the main castle was originally a residential building along the North side and still showing signs of Windows and others. In the 13th century, a large, square, four-storey tower was added in the Western part of the annular wall. To the East of the main ring wall was another, larger ring wall, which can be included in the gate house. Very little of this outer wall remains and it is unclear how it is connected to the main castle.

The castle was first mentioned in records in 1275 as castrum dictum Strasceberch and at that time it belonged to a powerful Freiherr background vases. Family Strassberg was a ministerialis, unfree knights in the service of a more noble or vassal family of VAZ. Strassberg castle allowed the WHA to collect taxes from trade along the way. In addition, he protected the nearby Abbey of Churwalden, which was the burial place of the family. After the extinction VAZ, in 1339, the castle was inherited by the counts of Toggenburg.

The counts of toggenburg received the Imperial permission to establish a customs post in Strassberg in April 1348. However, the Bishop of Chur objected and in December of the same year, the resolution of the Toggenburg was cancelled. Over sixty years later, in 1413, they were able to acquire the customs law of the Emperor Sigismund, who, when the Bishop objected, graduated with Zurich in order that he may judge between Toggenburgs and Bishop.

In 1360 the last Strassberg died, and the castle was entirely on Toggenburgs. Over the next three quarters of a century several different vassals of the Toggenburg Strassberg held as a fief. When the last count Toggenberg, Frederik VII, died the castle was inherited by the counts of Montfort. Probably due to power League of the ten jurisdictions Monfort provided Churwalden their freedom and the promise that castle will always be open in Churwalden that Vogt would live in the castle if the city allowed. In 1466 the counts of Montfort sold the castle the Archduke of Austria, Sigismund. A few years later, in 1471, Sigismund sold the castle of Ulrich von MAh, then inherited it back in 1479.

The castle began to crumble, and in 1491 Vogt dish Ammann background Rhazuns reported that the castle was slightly damaged. On 5 March 1499, during the Swabian war, the castle was burned by retreating troops in order to prevent it from falling into the hands of the Austrians. In the 16th century it was already a ruin.

Ruins of the castle were restored and stabilized in 2008 / 9.