ⓘ Gruneck Castle

                                     

ⓘ Gruneck Castle

Gruneck Castle was probably built around 1200 by an unknown builder. The de Grienenech family first appears in the historical record in 1260, but it is unclear whether they had any ties to the castle. The first time the castle is clearly named in a record is in 1515, when it was owned by St. Nicolai monastery in Chur and may have already been a ruin. The noble family Schmid von Gruneck, who were one of the most powerful families in Ilanz from the 15th to 18th century, never owned or lived at Gruneck Castle. They were raised to the nobility by Emperor Charles V in 1544, but may have chosen to name themselves after the ruins.

In 1811 and again in 1904, several large hoards of coins of the Carolingians was discovered during a road construction Rusin near the castle. The coins were probably buried about 790 and included coins from the rule of Charlemagne and the Lombards of king Desiderius. About 137 coins of the discoveries are cataloged and stored in the Ratisches Museum in Chur.