ⓘ Castelberg Castle

                                     

ⓘ Castelberg Castle

Castelberg is one of several castles built near Ilanz, a major town along the Vorderrhein river. The castle itself does not appear in any surviving records, but based on construction it was built in the first half of the 13th century. It was the home castle of the Castelberg family which were first mentioned in 1289. The family were originally a ministerialis family, unfree knights in service to a higher noble, in this case the Bishop of Chur. The estates around the castle were mentioned in 1391. However, Castelburg Castle was probably abandoned in the early 14th century. An excavation in 1968/69 discovered that the plaster on the walls had turned red, a sign that it had been exposed to a large fire. Whether the fire forced the Castelbergs to abandon the castle or if it happened after they left is unknown. By the 16th century it was described as a ruin.

After the rejection of the castle, the family grew in strength. By 1400 they owned a castle Surcasti, the castle of Loewenstein, Baldenstein castle and the ruins of the castle Castelberg. Rudolf von Castelberg had bishops Vogt in Lugnez in 1461-62 and 1468. By the 15th century the family owned land in Lugnez valley Groub, schams, Domleschg and in Vorarlberg. About 1500 families was divided into several cadet branches, including the Protestant branch in Groub region and Ilanz and Catholic branches that have been expelled from Ilanz to Disentis during the Protestant reformation. In Disentis the branch prepared three abbots of the famous Abbey there, along with ten persons in total thirty times as Landrichter highest leadership position in the gray League. Other members of the family was Swiss officers to the kings of France, Sardinia and Naples. The castle now belongs to the family Castelberg.