ⓘ Bernegg Castle, Graubunden

                                     

ⓘ Bernegg Castle, Graubunden

Bernegg Castle was built in the mid to late 13th century for the Freiherr von Calfreisen, though it was probably called Calfreisen Castle until the 15th century. A mention of Otto von Calfreisen in 1231 indicates that the family lived in the area before the castle was built. They may have lived in an earlier castle which was replaced in the mid 13th century or in the village. In 1259 and again in 1286 the Freiherr was mentioned in the castle. After the extinction of the Calfreisen family in the 14th century, the castle was acquired by the Unterwegen family. Hans von Underwegen was mentioned at the castle in 1386, though they may have acquired it earlier. In 1428 it was acquired by the Sprecher family, who changed the name to Bernegg. The castle then vanishes from the historical record until the mid 16th century when it was described as a ruin.